Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Chung Fa, Pune - A Review

6 days- 2 reviews, 5 articles and 1 movie shoot. A hectic week was followed by a lazy (and hungry) weekend.  While everyone was getting dressed for a night of drunken revelry, I lazed around in my pajamas in front of the TV, on my couch, contemplating the various ordering in options available. After 45min of struggling with the voices in my head, I decided to try out Chinese food. And not just any Chinesefood , mind you- food that I can devour with such enthusiasm, that I’d make Adam Richman trying to eat a cheeseburger with 20 patties(Man Vs Food, for those who don’t know) look civilized compared to me. 

Hence, Chung Fa. It’s 6km away from home, I need to pay a 100 bucks extra for delivery, but WHO CARES. When there’s good food to be had, money is just another number.

I have a standard dinner order here-
Veg Hakka Noodles
Chicken Chilly (dry)
Chicken Manchurian (dry)


I have eaten the Beef Chilly and Chicken Fried Rice too, and loved it. That’s the standard lunch order J

Here’s the verdict-
Veg Hakka Noodles


This is by far the best noodles I have ever eaten, and that’s saying something. The quantity is generous. Super generous even! And the quantity of vegetables they add- pretty amazing to see how nothing has changed over the last 20 years that I have been eating here. The noodles are thin, the oil in which they are made does not taste stale, the vegetables feel fresh and crunchy.
In fact, do not add the garlic sauce to the noodles for extra flavor, the flavor of the noodles is  good enough.

Chilly Chicken


I usually order the dry one ‘cos I have this irrational reasoning (which might be true) that there is more flavor in the dry dishes, since corn flour and water dilutes it a little bit in the gravies. 
The quantity, once again, is generous. The chicken is well cooked. The corn flour doesn’t stick to the pieces, nor does it fall off (food which is falling apart is quite a turn off, you know) The chicken is fresh too (stale chicken tends to give a characteristic after taste) And it’s unlike the chilly chicken you have at other places- you won’t see capsicum and chilies, but the spring onions,garlic, and sauces get it absolutely spot on. I prefer the chilly chicken here compared to the ones at any other place. Try this. 

Chicken Manchurian


A little sweet, this one comes with tomatoes and capsicum. I repeat- generous quantity, well cooked chicken pieces, and good presentation. This time though, there were too many tomatoes and a little extra oil in the dish. Once again, the preparation is quite different as compared to what you get at other places, so I guarantee you  will enjoy this.  Do give it a try, and decide for yourself.

The night ended on a very very VERY happy note. Mean girls, good food, the couch, and I. I live for these weekends.

Do go try out the food here- if you are not comfortable with the place, you can always order in. The place is small, a little dingy, but neat. Have seen a wide variety of crowd there, but I personally prefer ordering in (because a-too lazy, and b- good food must not always be eaten in a civilized manner. I prefer being a little un-lady like at home )

Do check it out and share your feedback!









No comments:

Post a Comment